Welcome to the website for the parish of Spofforth with Kirk Deighton

(including Follifoot and Little Ribston)




All Saints' Church, Kirk Deighton

 

A brief history of All Saints' Church, Kirk Deighton

 

A church is mentioned in Diston in the Doomsday Survey of 1086. Diston is a Celtic word of uncertain meaning. Later, the village is referred to as Dicton, meaning a homestead surrounded by a ditch. The Church of 1086 may have been on the position of the present nave. It is thought that the existing north arcade c1150-1175 opened to a narrower north aisle than at present and that the north wall with its late Norman door was moved outwards in the 14th century. Evidence for this can be seen in the base of the west exterior wall of the north aisle, where a rough plinth of old stonework may indicate the original width of the north and south aisle. The south arcade, south aisle, porch, tower, clerestories and battlements are of one period 1425-50. The foundations of the chancel are 14th century with extensive re-building in 1849. All the stained glass is Victorian.

The patronage of the living was held by the Roos family of Ingmanthorpe until the Reformation. It was then passed to various other families until 1794 when it was purchased from Colonel Thornton for the Reverend James Geldart, who in 1795 became Rector and was succeeded by his son and grandson. The patronage has now passed to the Bishop of Ripon and Leeds and the parish was united with the neighbouring parish of Spofforth (including Follifoot and Little Ribston) in 1971.

 

A fine view of the church is gained from Mark Lane across the cricket pitch, with Kirk Deighton Hall, once Rectory, to the right. The Church, set on the highest point, is well proportioned with its fine perpendicular pinnacled tower, with two twin lighted windows, bold gargoyles, clock and plain octagonal spire about 30.5m in height.